The Department of Global Communications (DGC): Did You Know?
- The DGC was established in 1946 by the General Assembly with hopes to promote global awareness and understanding of the work of the United Nations.
- Mission of DGC: communicate the work and ideals of the United Nations to the world, interact and partner up with a diverse audience; build a support for peace, development, and human rights.
- There are three divisions: Strategic Communications, News and Media, and Outreach.
- In 1968, the Economic and Social Council called on DPI to associate NGOs.
- About 1,400 NGOs are now associated with the DGC
- There are now about 350 NGO youth representatives.